Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Some final thoughts

While this class has brought me one step closer to being a person with a great memory (err...or at least up to par with average) through the study of memory palaces and the human potential, I think that the most beneficial gain from this class has been the knowledge of the differences between literal and oral culture. Before this class, I had a pretty narrow view of literacy as "better". While literacy is "better" in some aspects(such as allowing the writer to explore on another level of consciousness because of the slowness of the process), there is a lot we have sacrificed by giving up our primary orality. I hope to become a more rounded member of a literate culture by expanding the oral traditions I hold within. By exploring the realm of myth, our human connection with nature, and the possibilities of my own memory, I would like to re-remember what I have always known and have always forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment